At IonQ, we are developing industry-leading, general-purpose quantum computers to address a broad array of applications. In the process, we hope to revolutionize computing as we know it by unleashing the power of quantum.
Since the personal computing revolution kicked off in the 1970s, computers have improved by leaps and bounds as transistors have decreased in size and increased in power in accordance with Moore's Law. In fact, today's smartphones are orders of magnitude more powerful than any of the early supercomputers. Despite these advances, however, there remains a multitude of large, complex, and important problems that cannot be addressed by even the world's most powerful computers today. Furthermore, there is no guarantee that solutions to these problems will ever be within reach, now that transistors are approaching the size of individual atoms, a scale at which classical physics breaks down entirely.
Quantum computing represents a radical departure from classical computing and has the potential to overcome these limitations by embracing the quantum phenomena, such as superposition and entanglement, that emerge at atomic scale. Quantum computers' ability to perform incredibly complex calculations and data processing exponentially faster than classical computers opens up a world of possible commercial and scientific applications. The potential is staggering, and though we are still in the early days of quantum computing, we anticipate that the technology will transform industries and facilitate breakthroughs in areas as disparate as machine learning, molecular interaction simulation, financial analysis, cryptography, materials design, logistics optimization, and big data search.
Get in Touch
4505 Campus Drive
College Park, MD 20740
IONQ is developing world-leading general-purpose quantum information processors. Our unique trapped ion approach combines unmatched physical performance, perfect qubit replication, optical networkability, and highly-optimized algorithms to create a quantum computer that is as scalable as it is powerful and that will support a broad array of applications across a variety of industries.
Board & Advisors
Scientists are close to building a quantum computer that can beat a conventional one
Dec 1, 2016
Use of global interactions in efficient quantum circuit constructions
New Journal of Physics
Dec 21, 2017
Provably secure and high-rate quantum key distribution with time-bin qudits
Nov 24, 2017
IonQ is building the world's first fully-expressive, full-stack quantum computer based on trapped ion technology. Quantum computing is poised to reshape medicine, materials, simulation, and much more. We're looking for a few great engineers and designers to build out our Quantum Operating System and Cloud offering. The full software stack covers the lowest level FPGA hardware interfaces up through a kernel, compilers, languages and cloud APIs.
To support our rapid growth, we're hiring creative collaborators with top skills in their areas of expertise and a commitment to success. We're currently seeking candidates for our College Park location. US citizenship is preferred.
- Create new or revise existing circuit designs using Altium Designer
- Part creation, schematic capture and PCB layout
- Research and define electronic components and modules
- Electronics assembly of boards and subsystems (soldering, board rework, cable assembly, rack and enclosure assembly)
- Electronics testing and debugging (board-level bench testing, system integration and troubleshooting)
- Level of effort estimation
- BS or MS in Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering, or related
- 2+ years experience
- Some experience working in a lab setting
- Strong understanding of the fundamentals of electronics
- High speed design (FPGA I/O, LVDS, PCI Express, SATA, Memory, Ethernet)
- Analog design (op amps, power supplies, voltage references, analog switches)
- Knowledge of RF/Microwave/Optics (amplifiers, splitters/combiners, photodetectors)
- Experience using oscilloscopes, signal generators, logic analyzers, spectrum analyzers
- Mechanical design for electronics (e.g. enclosures, mounting hardware, heatsinks, etc.)
- 3D CAD for mechanical drafting, drawings and design
- Firmware development using verilog for Xilinx/Altera FPGA’s
- Love of lasers
Full Stack Software Engineer
- Develop APIs and frontends
- Contribute ideas for new features and identify areas for improvement proactively
- Write clean, testable, scalable and well-documented code
- BS in Computer Science or equivalent preferred
- Strong foundation in data structures and software design, and math!
- Fluency with NodeJS and React
- Comfortable collaborating in an interdisciplinary startup environment
- History of open source contributions
- Design opinions
- Devops skills
- Distributed systems experience
- Love of pixel-perfect CSS, lasers, and ping pong
We are looking for creative optical engineers, at all levels of experience, to participate and/or lead in designing and building a full-stack quantum computer. You’ll work with an outstanding team of physicists and engineers from a wide range of disciplines to develop specifications, design, model, and build optical systems. We’re looking for self-motivated, self-directed, and innovative engineers, with a great attitude and work ethic.
- Design, simulation, construction, testing, and verification of various optical systems and subsystems
- Work with mechanical and electrical engineers for realizing full subsystem functionality
- Taking system-level requirements and reducing them to detailed optical designs and implementation plans
- Managing and documenting optical system development
- MS in Optical Engineering/Physics with 5+ years experience, or equivalent
- Extensive experience in optical modeling tools (Zemax, Code V, or equivalent)
- Gaussian beam and imaging system designs
- Experience working with lasers of various types
- Basic understanding of feedback control systems
- Ability to estimate costs, work with vendors, and evaluate trade-offs
- Mechanical CAD experience (SolidWorks, AutoCAD, etc.)
- Project management and/or leadership experience
- Experience working with UV lasers and optics
- Experience with atomic physics
- Basic electronics for laser drivers, optical sensors and feedback controllers
- Experience in working with with external partners/collaborators/suppliers on joint technical projects
People Operations Specialist
We are expanding our People Operations team and looking for someone to join our team who shares our culture and core values. We have an employee-oriented company culture and care immensely about our employees’ happiness. We are looking for someone to help us in implementing the required tools and collecting the relevant data to achieve our employee happiness goals.
- Help plan and implement various employee relations and employee satisfaction initiatives
- Assist with the implementation and tracking of company safety and health programs
- File all compliance reports with the state and federal government
- Ensure the company observes all human resource policies and regulations
- Assist in the evolution of personnel policies and procedures
- Prepare paperwork required for new hires and establish personnel files
- Assist employees with benefits
- Conduct phone screening for various positions
- Help write job descriptions and job postings
- B.S. in Human Resources, Anthropology, Psychology or a related field
- 2-3 years of relevant experience
- Experience in administration of benefits and other HR programs
- General knowledge of various employment laws and practices
- Has worked with various HRISs
- Experience working with ATS
- Excellent social and organizational skills.
- Passionate about helping others and promoting a positive and friendly culture
- Able to identify and resolve problems in a timely manner
- Familiarity with start-up culture
- Love of hot sauce and ping pong
We’re seeking an experienced product designer to help us build the world’s most powerful quantum computing platform. The ideal candidate has a passion and talent for all aspects of the design process, from research and testing to interaction and visual design. As a designer at IonQ, you’ll be challenged to move between different facets of design to deliver world-class products.
- Design and build responsive frontends for our developer platform
- Design tools for our physicists to manage complex lab equipment
- Collaborate with engineers and our users to ensure a smooth, data-driven product development process
- Execute in a fast-paced and fluid startup environment
- Manage multiple projects, deadlines, and deliverables
- 5+ years experience building and shipping features and products for desktop and mobile
- A portfolio of (shipped) product design that showcases your talent
- Excellent communication skills, and a collaborative approach to stakeholders throughout the design process
- A need to push your limits and continuously improve
- Strong understanding of fundamental design principles
- Proficiency in Sketch, Illustrator, or other design tools
- Passion for design and creating products that customers love. Receptive to feedback, can participate with humility in productive debate.
- Experience using prototyping tools such as InVision, FramerJS, Pixate, etc.
- Experience conducting UX research to inform product decisions
- Experience developing high-level product strategy (tell us why, not just what or how)
- Background in industrial design and/or designing specialized real-world interfaces (e.g. control surfaces, machine controls, etc.)
- Great visual design chops
- Serious ping pong skills